Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Carlos Faces New Probes on Train Bombs

PARIS -- "Carlos the Jackal," held in a Paris jail for a 1982 car-bombing, will face new investigations linking him to two other attacks, the French Justice Ministry said Thursday.


A ministry statement said Justice Minister Pierre Mehaignerie ordered prosecutors to reopen probes tying the guerrilla mastermind, captured in Sudan on Sunday and handed over to France, to two bomb attacks that each killed five people in the 1980s.


Carlos, held in solitary confinement at the La Sante jail in Paris, was already under investigation for a 1982 bombing off the Champs Elys?es. One person was killed in the attack.


The guerrilla, who bombed his way to gruesome notoriety in the 1970s and 1980s with attacks in Europe and the Middle East, has been sentenced in his absence to life in jail for killing two French counterintelligence agents in 1975.


But magistrates and victims' families want him to face trial on a host of counts. Interior Minister Charles Pasqua says he killed 83 people worldwide, at least 15 of them in France.


The two new probes include the bombing of a Paris-Toulouse train, the Capitole, in March 1982.


According to the French magazine Le Point, quoting files of the Stasi secret services of former East Germany, the attack was a failed attempt to kill Paris mayor Jacques Chirac, who had been due to travel on the train.


The files linked the Venezuelan-born Carlos to the attack.


The other probe involves the bombing of the Saint-Charles railway station in Marseille in December 1983.


Both cases were abandoned by examining magistrates because there was insufficient evidence to send a suspect for trial.


The ministry statement said anti-terrorism magistrate Jean-Louis Bruguiere, who has remanded Carlos in custody and placed him under investigation for the 1982 Paris blast, would lead the new probes.


The three bombings followed the expiry of a 30-day delay set by Carlos in a letter to late Interior Minister Gaston Defferre for the release of his girlfriend Magdalena Kopp, of Germany's Red Army Faction, and his associate Bruno Breguet.


The newspaper Le Figaro, quoting Bruguiere, said he planned to travel to Berlin next month to consult Stasi files on Carlos and his friends.