Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Johnson Defends Dope

PARIS () -- Former sprinter Ben Johnson, banned for life for using steroids, fueled controversy by saying doping was necessary to be the best and was still widely used in athletics today.


"I don't regret having taken drugs," said the Canadian appearing on a French television show Wednesday. "I did it because I was caught in a system and I got caught because I was the best. It only helped me for 10 percent. The other 90 percent came from my own capabilities."