Install

Get the latest updates as we post them — right on your browser

. Last Updated: 07/27/2016

Action on War Crimes

THE HAGUE, Netherlands () -- Prosecutor Richard Goldstone said Tuesday that the Yugoslav War Crimes Tribunal would issue indictments in November and expected to begin trials in March.


Speaking on his return from a visit to the former Yugoslavia, the South African jurist said that Croatian officials had agreed to surrender war crimes suspects and he seemed very positive, if non-specific, about co-operation from the Bosnian government.


However, the Serbian government has refused to allow the Hague Tribunal, set up last year by the U.N. Security Council, to open an office in Belgrade -- one of the main aims of Goldstone's three-state trip.


Belgrade authorities have ruled out handing over suspects, claiming they should face trial by local authorities.


Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic and Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic have both been named by the United States as possible war criminals