Klinsmann Goes Back On Market

DUSSELDORF, Germany -- Tottenham's German international striker J--rgen Klinsmann, 30, confirmed he is considering offers from Bayern Munich and Italian clubs.


But he said Monday that he would not make a decision on where he would play next season until May.


Asked why he might end his contract with Tottenham early despite his success and popularity in England, the forward said: "It could be a different situation next season. Things could change.


"For sure, it is not ruled out that I will still be at Spurs next season ... But it is part of my job to consider everything and to listen to ideas from interested clubs."


Klinsmann, in D--sseldorf preparing for Germany's European championship qualifier against Wales on Wednesday, said he would sit down with Spurs before he made any decision about his future.


The prospect of a longer-term contract at Bayern, however, may prove too attractive to the German who knows strikers start running out of time at the top when they reach 30.


After an outstanding year at Tottenham, Klinsmann's price is high at the moment.


He is believed to have an opt-out clause in his contract with the English Premier League club which runs until 1996. Klinsmann said he would only consider Bayern if he was to return to Germany, ruling out the possibility of linking up with his former club, Borussia Dortmund.


"But if I do decide to return to the Bundesliga, then it will be only to Bayern Munich," said the striker, "But there are also offers from Italy."


The links with Bayern are strong. Franz Beckenbauer was coach when Klinsmann steered Germany to their World Cup triumph in 1990.


The Bavarians have already spent money building a new team for next season and they are very keen to sign a German striker.


He began his career in Stuttgart, then went to Inter Milan and Monaco before joining Tottenham after last year's World Cup.