Pakistan Says U.S. Assisted in Raid

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan -- Pakistan used intelligence provided by U.S.-led coalition forces in Afghanistan in a raid that killed 80 suspected militants, but U.S. forces did not fire any missiles, Pakistan's army spokesman said Tuesday. He later denied saying the United States had provided information.

Some 10,000 tribesmen, including armed militants, denounced the United States and Pakistani governments in the northwestern Bajur district's main town of Khar, close to Chingai village, where Pakistan said its helicopters fired at least four missiles Monday into a religious school fronting as a terrorist training camp.

"God is Great," "Death to Bush! Death to Musharraf!" and "Anyone who is a friend of America is a traitor," the crowd chanted in one of several nationwide protests led Tuesday to condemn the attack.

Pakistan's military said about 80 suspected militants were killed, but locals and religious leaders said innocent students and teachers died. The raid was the single deadliest operation ever launched by Pakistani forces against suspected militants.

Pakistani Major General Shaukat Sultan, the chief army spokesman, denied reports that U.S. forces took part in the attack on the school, known as a madrassa, saying Pakistan's military launched the entire attack.

But he said intelligence was provided in line with long-standing cooperation with coalition forces to provide military intelligence to battle terrorists operating along the porous Pakistani-Afghan border.

"Intelligence sharing was definitely there, but to say they [the coalition] have carried out the operation, that is absolutely wrong," Sultan said. "One doesn't know ... what was the percentage of help [provided]."

Sultan later contacted The Associated Press to deny he had said the United States provided intelligence that was used in the attack. But he did not say whether any information had been provided.

Pakistan said its helicopters fired five missiles into the madrassa in the Bajur district village of Chingai, flattening the building and killing 80 people inside. Witnesses said some of those killed were under 7 years of age.