Teenager Accused of Lying in Boston Bomb Case Out on Bail
- May. 08 2013 00:00
- Last edited 18:27
BOSTON — The teenager accused of lying to FBI agents in the Boston Marathon bombing case was freed on $100,000 bail on Monday pending a later trial date.
While out on bail, Robel Phillipos will be under the custody of his mother and must wear a GPS bracelet, U.S. Magistrate Judge Marianne Bowler ordered in federal court in Boston. The $100,000 bail for the 19-year-old was secured by real estate put up by a third party, the judge said.
Phillipos, of Cambridge, Massachusetts, is accused of making false statements to FBI agents investigating the April 15th attack that killed three people and injured 264 near the marathon's finish line. He was not charged with direct involvement in the attack.
Phillipos' mother was "very emotional," after the ruling, the teenager's attorney, Derege Demissie, said. About 60 people, including friends, family and a large contingent from the Boston Ethiopian community, appeared in the courthouse on Monday showing their support.
Defense lawyers argued that he was not a flight risk, had no prior criminal history and could refute FBI allegations that he interfered with their investigation, court records show. In affidavits of support filed with the court, Phillipos is described as a social worker's caring son who read to kindergarten students.
Last week, U.S. authorities charged Phillipos and two 19-year-old students from Kazakhstan with interfering with their investigation as a manhunt for suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was under way.
After the hearing, Phillipos walked through the courthouse wearing street clothes and a black baseball cap and was surrounded by the contingent of family and friends.