Arshavin in Limbo After Zenit Rejects Barca's Bid

Zenit St. Petersburg has rejected a 15 million euro ($23.5 million) offer from Barcelona for playmaker Andrei Arshavin, the Russian club said Monday.

"Barcelona had failed to improve their original offer of 15 million euros, thus we decided to end our negotiations with the Spanish club," Zenit said on its web site.

"We have not received any offers for Arshavin from any other clubs, therefore there are no discussions going on about his transfer."

Last week, Zenit offered to extend Arshavin's current deal by two years until 2012. The club has given the player, who reportedly earns 3 million euros a year, two weeks to decide his future.

Arshavin did not play in Zenit's 5-1 win over Siberian side Tomsk on Sunday — the club's first Russian premier league match after the seven-week break for Euro 2008.

Zenit's Dutch coach Dick Advocaat said he would not use his top player until he makes up his mind.

Ashavin has said on several occasions that he wanted to move abroad, Barcelona being his first choice.

Out of form Ronaldinho was on Monday included in Brazil's Olympic football squad as one of three overage players permitted, as was Real Madrid striker Robinho.

Brazil, five-time world champion, regards Olympic gold as the one major title missing from its collection. It will face China, Belgium and New Zealand in its first round group.

Brazil had hoped to include World Player of the Year Kaka as one of its overage players, but AC Milan refused to let him go.