ANC Tries to Curb Violence

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa -- South Africa's police and the ruling ANC party intensified efforts on Tuesday to quell deadly violence against foreigners, and a government minister said the unrest could damage the key tourism sector.

At least 24 people have been killed in over a week of attacks on African migrant workers, who are accused by many in South Africa's poor townships of stealing jobs and fueling a wave of violent crime.

Local media said two people were killed overnight.

South Africa's tourism minister said the violence could hurt the sector, which contributes around 8 percent of gross domestic product to Africa's biggest economy, employs a million people and attracted 8.4 million visitors last year.

Thousands of foreigners have fled into refugee shelters since the violence began on May 11 in Alexandra township.

Several foreigners have been burned to death, women raped and scores of shops and homes looted. More than 200 people have been arrested. Criminal gangs are believed to be involved in the violence.

The Sowetan newspaper said a mob killed a construction company owner and burned down his house in Actonville, east of Johannesburg, on Monday because they said he did not employ South Africans. The report could not immediately be confirmed.

The ruling African National Congress said the situation was coming under control after it sent officials into townships to appeal for an end to the attacks.