News in Brief

Soldiers Claim Cop Attack

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan -- The Russian Embassy in Kyrgyzstan expressed strong concern Monday at the purported assault of Russian servicemen by local police over the weekend.

According to the embassy statement, the soldiers were driving back to the base outside the capital, Bishkek, early Sunday morning when they were blocked by an unmarked jeep, dragged out of their car and beaten.

During the assault, one of the attackers shot one of the Russian soldiers several times, the embassy said.

The Kyrgyz Interior Ministry said the car was halted by police after it was seen committing traffic violations in Bishkek and that the servicemen were drunk and resisted police. (AP)

New Metro Stations to Open

City Hall plans to expand the Moscow metro by 60 kilometers, or 20 percent of the existing 298-kilometer network, by 2015, metro chief Dmitry Gayev said.

New stations set to open this year include Spartak Stadium on the purple line, which should start operations after the completion of the football stadium in June, Gayev told Ekho Moskvy on Saturday.

The station, located between the Shchukinskaya and Tushinskaya station, was actually built in the 1970s and named Volokolamskaya, but never opened.

Also to open this year is the Slavyansky Bulvar station, a new stop on the dark blue line. (MT)

Drunk Men Plane in Midair

Three Russian citizens got into a drunken brawl aboard a flight to Montenegro over the weekend and attempted to open the airplane's doors in midair, RIA-Novosti reported Monday, citing Montenegrin media.

One of the men, a 37-year-old Muscovite, was hospitalized with a broken nose, while the other two went to their hotels.

Montenegro Airlines is not planning to file a complaint against the men, who were employees of a home appliances company traveling to the Balkan nation for a corporate seminar, Vijesti said. (MT)

Astrakhan House Stolen

A man from the Astrakhan region has been arrested on suspicion of stealing his neighbor's house, RIA-Novosti reported Monday.

The owner left his house in the village of Yevrpraksino empty for four months. When he returned at the end of March, all that remained were the the foundations, a spokesman for the Astrakhan regional branch of the Interior Ministry told RIA-Novosti. (MT)