Pro-Kremlin Youth Say U.S. Must Pay

ReutersKashin and Young Guard activists at Vladivostok's U.S. Consulate on Monday.
VLADIVOSTOK -- Members of a pro-Kremlin youth group demonstrated outside the U.S. Consulate in Vladivostok on Monday to support Alexander Kashin, a local man paralyzed in an accident involving a U.S. diplomat's car.

Kashin, who was injured when his car collided with a vehicle carrying then-U.S. Consul General Douglas Kent in 1998, has asked for $10 million in compensation for his injuries.

Kashin had previously declared he was going on a hunger strike to attract attention to his case and has said a $100,000 compensation offer from the U.S. State Department was "a miserly pittance."

Holding signs saying "Democracy American-style" is all about money, a small crowd from the Young Guard youth group stood for about 30 minutes outside the consulate with Kashin, until police ordered them to leave.

The group's leader, Maxim Glushkov, said he wanted to draw attention to the U.S. State Department's unwillingness to take responsibility for the actions of its employees.

Glushkov said caring for Kashin "is not our affair. In the given situation the U.S. State Department should be the ones helping."