Australian Troops Sent to Timor

DILI, East Timor -- Australian troops began arriving in East Timor on Tuesday to help enforce a state of emergency after the tiny nation's president was critically wounded in a double assassination attempt and flown to Darwin for treatment.

An Australian warship also arrived off the Dili coast Tuesday to support the first of 200 troops sent to reinforce international security forces as doctors said President Jose Ramos-Horta would remain on life support until next week.

The United Nations said 11 people had been questioned over Monday's attack, in which a rebel soldier leader was also killed, and that international security forces had responded swiftly.

"Investigations will be extensive and ongoing, but we are expecting to give the first progress report to the prosecutor-general this afternoon or tomorrow morning," said Finn Reske-Nielsen, acting UN mission chief.

In the northern Australian city of Darwin, where Ramos-Horta was airlifted with gunshot wounds to the chest, back and stomach, doctors said they planned more surgery.

"His condition remains extremely serious, but, by the same token, stable," Royal Darwin Hospital general manager Len Notaras told reporters, adding the president would need more surgery in the next 24 to 36 hours.

"He will be in an induced coma until at least Thursday, intensive care until Sunday or Monday of next week," he said.